Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
What skis should I get for park?
  • PetriePetrie
    I'm trying to decide between the Armada AR 7 and the Atomic Punx.

I'm 5'9" 150 pounds and like to hit big jumps and rails. There's no pipe at my mountain.
  • hanklambohanklambo
    @Petrie, both are fantastic park skis, so rest assured you can't really go wrong either way. Do you have any specific questions we might be able to help you with that'll help you come to a decision?
  • PetriePetrie
    If there isn't much different about them I will get the Armadas. Thanks.
  • hanklambohanklambo
    @Petrie, you'll dig 'em, for sure. The 10-year anniversary graphics are boss, too.
  • CmCmAHONCmCmAHON
    im pretty much in the same boat. Looking for a solid park ski but i spend most of my time on the "super kickers" at my mtn. Im having trouble deciding between the AR7 and the halo. I think the halo could be the one but the graphic bothers me. Any other suggestions for skis that are along the lines of the halos or ones that seems like they would give me the most?
  • brewskibrewski
    @cmcmahon

If you're spending most of your time on jumps I would go with the AR7 because it's a full camber ski. Camber = tons of pop and more stability on the landings. The halo is a cool ski but I don't think it's stiff enough to handle bigger airs and all of that tip and tail rocker is gonna make you wheelie out on landings. It's more at home on rails, but for the best of both worlds you should check out the Alpha 1. It's pricier, but it's basically a stiffer version of the Halo with a race base so it skis faster. Sounds like you're more of a jumper, so the AR7 would be your best bet. And as always, when you do decide, please buy your ski from your local shop.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @CmCmAHON

I'd also have to recommend going with the AR7 over the Halo. @brewski pretty much nailed it. The lack of stiffness in the Halo isn't going to hold up to those landings whereas the AR7 is built for 'em. Send it!
  • Putty
    I am Your same Build, and have owned the last 3 Generations of Atomic Punx. Personally the best park ski i've owned. Never skied the Armadas, So can't help you much in that regard. If you want a light, poppy, buttery ski I would highly recommend it. I ski Park City, and they slay anything in you can send them off with a super stable underfoot, and have great on rail feel due to the softer flex in the tip and tail. Plus they rock a traditional camber.
  • fraserfra
    to add to this, i'd say its personal preference. last season i bought the alpha 1's over the ar7's because i liked how they felt more than the others. have skied punx before also. both are very good. i'd demo first to see which you like best. armada's seem more stable at speed also.... As hanklambo says AR7 anniversary graphics are super super cool!!
  • Jorizaski
    i would def throw the walls into this convo. love my to death. best skis Ive ever ridden. BTW Armadas are made in Atomics factory so...
  • brewskibrewski
    @jorizaski

Armada may be made in Atomic's factory (it helps them meet demand and increase distribution) but they are still a completely independent company. Also, Atomic's factory really belongs to Salomon, which owns Atomic through the AmerSports group. The reality is that there are really only 3 or 4 ski companies, and they own just about everyone. Armada is one of the few independent companies to remain truly independent while becoming a mainstream brand. Atomic borrows some tech from them every once in a while, but that's sort of their prerogative for supplying Armada with space and time in their factory.