Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
Trouble Deciding on an All-Mountain Ski
  • gmann20
    Having trouble deciding on a good all-mountain ski...I've gone through all the reviews, talked to many shops and researched as much as possible.

I am 6'4" 245 lbs, board and ski, have been for a while, would describe myself as advanced (although a recent trip to Zermatt had me second guessing myself surrounded by all the pros). I ski mainly the Northeast-Smuggs, Jay, Stratton, Poconos...spend most of the time in the glades when in VT, but really looking for a ski that can cover the typical NE terrain, which is not always very predictable.

It seems I've narrowed it down to Mantras, Aramada TST, LINE Prophet or SFB. Any suggestions, feedback, experiences, comments are much welcomed to help me get this decision complete and ready to go this season.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    I think the overall width of the SFB and the shovel of the TST are a little overkill for the East Coast. The Prophets are a good ski but seeing as how you're 6'4"/245, I would go with the Mantras. A little bit of tip rocker for when you get some fresh snow and two sheets of metal that will stand up to aggressive skiing by a big dude.
  • gmann20
    Thanks appreciate it. Any merit in checking the bonafides or kendos out as well?
  • HarvitronixHarvitronix
    @gmann20: The Kendo is another great ski, but in my opinion, the Mantra is more versatile (98 underfoot for the Mantra versus 88).

The Bonafide is another good choice. It's a carving machine and slightly more playful than the Mantra. But at 245, you aren't going to have any trouble flexing the Mantra and powering it around the trees. If you have the opportunity to demo them, that's your best bet.

If I had to pick one right now, I'd go with the Mantra.
  • Turtle9653
    I used to live and ski the east, now I live in Colorado. I ski the TSTs. They are incredible skis but I agree with D_Quigley, they are much more designed for the powder than the hard pack. They absolutely scream down the hill but tend to have a lot of vibration. I would also recommend the Mantras.
  • brewskibrewski
    The Mantras would be a good option, but I don't think they turn quickly enough to be a good tree ski. Have you looked at the Ritual from Atomic? I skied it last week at the shop rat test and it was a blast. 103 under foot, tip and slight tail rocker with metal milled into the core. It is really playful and great in all conditions.

As far as the Bonafide goes, it's a great ski but Blizzard is completely out of them so if your shop has it in your size get it now.

Whatever you do, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't buy your ski online. Support your local ski shop, they will take good care of you and their prices for this years stuff are exactly the same as the online megastores.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    I skied the the Rituals a couple weeks ago too and they were definitely fun. Might be a little soft for @gmann20 at 245 lbs. but definitely playful and worth a look. Bonus to buying at your local shop - hopefully you can demo both and they'll take that cost off the price of the one you choose.
  • DEPAULA3
    IM LOOKING FOR SOME ADVICE ON WHAT SKIIS TO BUY.
    IM 21, 5\'10\", 185LB. INTERMEDIATE-ADVANCED SKIIER
    IM LOOKING FOR A GOOD ALL MOUNTAIN/TWIN.
    I LIVE AND SKI ON THE EAST COAST SO I WANT IT TO BE A GOOD SKI FOR THE MOUNTAINS AROUND HERE.
    70% TRAILS / 30% PARK APPROX.
    AS OF NOW IM LOOKING AT THE "K2 SIGHTS" AND THE "ATOMIC PANICS"
    OR ANY OTHER SKI THAT I CAN RIP GROOMERS BUT ALSO GET BETTER IN THE TERRAIN PARK.
    PLEASE GET BACK TO ME AT YOUR CONVENIENCE
    GREATLY APPRECIATED !
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @DEPAULA3

I really like the Vantage line from Atomic that the Panics are in but if you're intermediate-advanced you might consider stepping up to the Theory. It's just a little wider underfoot (95mm) and has carbon inserts that will stand up to more aggressive skiing. You could also check out the Nordica El Paco - a really lively, fun ski that's 87 underfoot with early rise in the tip and tail. Great East Coast all-mountain ski.
  • brewskibrewski
    I agree with @D_Quigley. The Theory is a great ski for riding all over the mountain and still handling business in the park. You might also check out the Volkl Kink. It's 89 underfoot and the rockered tip and tail make it buttery smooth and versatile. I would go with the 179 cm length for you in that one because anything shorter would feel squirrely due to the rocker. Hope that helps, and make sure to buy it from your local shop!
  • DEPAULA3
    @D_Quigley @brewski Thanks for the advice guys. How do you feel about the Volkl Bridges?
  • brewskibrewski
    @depaula3

The Bridge is a pretty good ski too. Check out some of the other threads on here for a description, @D_Quigley pretty much nailed it in another post.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @DEPAULA3 - The Volkl Bridge is another great ski. Fully rockered profile on those means they're really playful and you can throw 'em sideways with ease but they'll lose a little grip and stability at high speed and on harder snow. I'd probably keep a little camber in my life if I was on the East Coast.
  • brewskibrewski
    @depaula3

did you look at the Line Chronic? That's a pretty badass ski. It has a perfect combination of camber in the sweet spot for pop and tip and tail rocker for easy butters and float. It also features Line's patented Carbon Ollieband (carbon fiber stringers from tip to tail for extra pop). At 92 mm underfoot it should be able to handle most east coast conditions, and the symmetric flex means a smooth ride with a center mount. Definitely worth consideration, and the graphics this year are boss. And as always, when you make your choice PLEASE buy your new skis from your local shop. They will take care of you way better than any online dealer
  • olivier75
    Salomon Twenty Twelve's are an amazing pair of skis boys and girls. Mantra's or the Twelve's, depending on your size and needs ( Mantra's are a bit fatter than the Twelve's ) are really ludic and incredibly versatile anywhere on the mountain