Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
ski lengths
  • ILoveMountains
    i am 5'11 and 155 lb i ride some 6 series dynastar six sense 168 skis, i feel like they are too short behind my heel. should i move my bindings forward or get longer skis?

Photobucket
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @ILoveMountains

I'd say 168's are a little on the short side for you. I'm 5'8'' and I ride mid to low 180s in the park and 188-192 for big mountain. You should demo some longer skis and get a feel for the stability you can gain from them.
  • Cjskilee
    Looking for info on what size to get: the Ski is the Rocker 2 122 from Salomon...

So I want these sticks to be my only set for crud, pow, groomers, and whatever else Mother Nature throws at me...

I'm 5 11' 198... do I get the...
    180 tip 139 waist 115 or
    184 tip 142 waist 122?
  • brewskibrewski
    @cjskilee
    I would go with the 184 because it will feel much more stable for a guy your size. Did you demo it yet? I would recommend trying out a few skis in that category first before choosing the rocker2 122 as your one ski quiver. It is a great ski, but I think that there are some more versatile boards out there for what you are looking for
  • ILoveMountains
    my friend gave me his head mojo 80 172's i got my bindings mounted up on them for a 6 pack of olympia at eldora then i had to get the edges done before i could really see how they performed. they were great!, forwards and backwards though maybe i'll go up to those 184's or 188
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @Cjskilee - I would definitely go with the 184 over the 180 but @brewski makes a good point. The Rocker2 122 is a great ski but maybe not the best one ski quiver. Depending on where you live you might consider something slightly narrower in the waist (100-115). A five dimensional ski like the Armada TST can offer a more versatile waist width and a big shovel up front for pow days.
  • brewskibrewski
    @cjskilee

@d_quigley nailed it, go for the TSTs if you can find them in a shop near you. They sell out quick but Armada's reps are really good at finding a ski if one of their shops need it, so check in with your local and see if they can make it happen. You will probably like the 183 cm length best because it would be very playful for a guy your size, but the 192 is also awesome for overall stability and power.

Ditto for the Norwalk if you want to go a little wider.