Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
Skis and boots
  • WVU_skier
    The last 2 years I've been starting to hit the terrain park more and more and decided it was time for new skis and boots. I mostly hit boxes and rails, but I'm starting to get into jumping. My problem is that my skis really aren't made for what I'm trying to do and neither are my boots. Could anyone recommend a good set of park skis for rails, boxes, and decent sized jumps? I'd really appreciate any and all advice on boots as well because the ones I currently have provide me with practically no cushion when I land my jumps. I'm roughly 6'0" and 190lbs, live on the East Coast, and almost never riding on fresh powder for what it matters. Thanks!
  • NateAbbottNateAbbott
    Our top 10 skis from the park test are here: http://freeskier.com/stories/top-10-skis-the-best-park-skis-of-2012-2013

Since you are a bigger guy, look for a high stability score. See if you can demo the Atomic Punx or Scott Jib TWs. I think you'll dig them.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @WVU_Skier - Buying boots depends a lot on the shape of your foot - the combination of the width (last) and height of your instep will be the major factors that contribute to what boot will work best for you. If you're not sure, you should go to your local shop and talk to a bootfitter. They'll quickly look at your foot and tell you which boots will work best for you.

If you do know the shape of your foot...

For a low instep you should look toward Full Tilt or Dalbello. The Tom Wallisch Pro model from Full tilt has a 99mm last which is narrow/average and the Il Moro "T" I.D. from Dalbello has a 98mm last which is on the narrow side.

If you have a wider foot and/or higher instep you'll want a little bit more volume and you can look towards Nordica's Ace of Spades boot (100mm last) or perhaps a Salomon SPK (104mm last). The overlapping shell types of these boots are better for higher volume feet.

Once again, if you aren't sure of the shape of your foot you should spend a few minutes with a fitter. Those millimeters make a big difference!

You can check out this article for more tips:

http://freeskier.com/stories/how-to-buy-ski-boots
  • brewskibrewski
    @D_Quigley

Thanks for pointing @wvu_skier towards a bootfitter, that is definitely the best way to get a boot that works.

@wvu_skier, take @D_Quigley 's advice and go into your local shop and talk to a bootfitter. Buying a ski boot online is like doing brain surgery with morse code. (See earlier post about supporting your local shop). There are a lot of great boots out there, and your bootfitter will get you into a shell that works for you and get that fit dialed in, which will be free if you buy it at the shop and will cost you a lot if you buy it online. As far as skis go, there is a lot of great advice up on the forums now, but make sure you get your boots figured out first. The fit of your boots is key; if your feet are miserable, you will be miserable too.