Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
New Skis for Old Guy
  • rduzac
    I was once a good skier. Kids and time off the mountain I know I'm not the same as "I once was".
    I'm 185lbs., 5'9". I used to ski Bumps, Steep Mountain, and loved the jumps.
    Don't think I will be doing the jumps anymore, but hope to do steep and bumps where I can find them still.
    I'm 49 years old, but still in very good shape.

I used to ski Dynastar Religiously.
    190 - 200 cm, Slalom Ski, Normally the 1st or 2nd lightest skis made.
    Old school skis, not the new technology.

I'm looking at:
    http://freeskier.com/gear/products/atomic-theory-ski
    I like the sound of quick turn to turn
    http://freeskier.com/gear/products/blizzard-bonafide-ski
    Lots of recommendations, "fun and you’ve got yourself a hell of a do-it-all ski"
    http://freeskier.com/gear/products/volkl-mantra-ski
    Sounds like the best ski, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of enthusiasm about its snap in the turns.

After reading the Big Mountain Skis I had to add the Blizzard Cochise
    http://freeskier.com/gear/products/blizzard-cochise-skis
    This might be the ski after reading a lot of reviews.

Not looking at the Dynastar because I they haven't fared well in reviews for some time.
    No different in this one.

Your thoughts on skis and length for me would be very appreciated.
    Thanks,

• brewskibrewski
    @rduzac

You would probably love the Bonafide, but unfortunately it is just about sold out across the country and Blizzard ran out of them in October.

Have you skied a shaped and/or rockered ski before? If you have not, it will take a little getting used to but in the end you will be amazed by how much easier skis are to ride these days.

The Mantra is a great ski, but it is not very forgiving so I would not recommend it as your first ski after so many years, ditto for the Cochise.

The Theory is a great ski, especially because you are just getting back into the game.

Based on your previous love of Dynastar, I would encourage you to try out the Cham 97. It's a brand new ski this year and it rips.

As for length, you should stick with something in the 180's because rockered skis tend to ski shorter, and something in the 170's would probably feel pretty squirrely.

I strongly encourage you to go into your local ski shop and talk with the guys there, they will be able to point you in the right direction and will almost certainly have some demos for you to try. No matter what, please buy your ski at your local shop, the guys online aren't going to help you and you'll pay a lot more to have them mounted. Good luck
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @rduzac

The Mantra has a pretty aggressive build with two sheets of titanal in it so it might be a little more than you're looking for in the stiffness category.

The Cham 97 from Dynastar is a little more forgiving. It has a rockered tip but a flat tail retains somewhat of a hard-charging feel. 184 would work well for a guy your size.

The Atomic Theory is a really playful all-mountain ski. Rockered tip and tail make it really easy to maneuver but you may find it a little soft if you're charging down the steeps.

Lastly, the Bonafide is a sick all mountain ski - rave reviews from all of our testers and those around the industry. If you can get your hands on a pair I think you'd be very pleased. As @brewski mentioned, it's sold out in a lot of places for that reason but if you're local shop doesn't have them, a little Google-ing can turn some up. I like to support local shops but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do! I'm sure your they'd be more than happy to sell you a pair of bindings for them.

I found some 187s here this morning:

http://store.allspeed.com/2012-2013-blizzard-bonafide/?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=product-search&adtype=pla&gclid=CJnsmaikyrQCFUxxQgodpkcARw

• brewskibrewski
    @rduzac

I think the 187's are going to be pretty long for you in the Bonafide. I skied the Bonafide in a 180 and a 187 back to back a couple weeks ago and while I liked how hard the 187 charged, I felt that the 180 was more maneuverable and more fun all around. I am 6'1'' and 190 lbs, so I would definitely go with the 180 if I were you.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    Fair enough, @brewski - I prefer a little bit more length but there's definitely a tradeoff there.
  • brewskibrewski
    For sure @D_Quigley, I agree, but since @rduzac is just getting back into it I figured the 180 length would probably be more manageable for now
  • rduzac
    Great info from all of you. It's really helped me narrow down my selection.
    Since I probably won't find the Bonafide this year I will look to demo some.
    I will also check my local shop to see if they have any for demo's, I know they guys there well and can look to purchase slightly used ones towards the end of the season. I will always look to support my local shop as you guys mention. I like to keep my friends in jobs.
    Thanks for all the info.
    rduzac
  • brewskibrewski
    Cheers @rduzac