Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
First pair of serious all mountain skis
  • poppiste
    So I'm a 6'3 171lb guy, I tend to fit into the 7 or 8/10 profiles in the 'skiing levels', and I'm looking to buy my first set of serious all mountain skis. I ski mostly in the Alps and Jura mountains, and am up for roughly 2-3 weeks of solid skiing a year, which is why I want a 'one fits all' ski. I spend the majority of my time on the slopes, although when fresh snow is abounding I rush into it to mess around. I enjoy jumping off things and just generally playing around when skiing, as it's all about having fun..... right? The two sets of skis I've been weighing up are the Armada TSTs and the Nordica El Pacos. I understand the Nordicas are more park skis, especially at a 87mm width, but was wondering if you'd still consider them viable for off pisting/ fresh snow. On the other hand the Armadas are more expensive, and also wider at 102mm, but are still viewed as 'playful'. I'm pretty cut up on which ones to pick, as they both come highly recommended. For reference this season I tried the old '10 mantras and didn't really get a feel for them, as they were really stiff and unresponsive. Whereas I tried some rip n' wuds, and really enjoyed them in pretty much all conditions. I would buy them buy unfortunately shelling out £1300 on skis is a little steep. Any advice/ opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @poppiste

You're damn right it's all about having fun. It sounds to me like you know which skis you need to get. The El Pacos are great but the 102mm TSTs will suit your skiing style much better. Enough surface area to float through the fresh and a versatile shape for all over the mountain. Mantras are a rippin' ski but not very "playful" so I can see why you weren't blown away by them. Pick up some TSTs and go get your shred on!
  • poppiste
    @D_Quigley

Thanks for the response! I'm looking at deals on the armadas as we speak, so let the shredding begin! Last week I was on a pair of rip n wuds, and absolutely loved them. Just a shame I don't have $2300 to spend on skis!
  • Brierica
    @poppiste
    TST is quite playful. good luck on finding the deal and have fun on the slope. =)
  • brewskibrewski
    @poppiste

The TSTs rip but you're a little late in the game to get them this season, because Armada's best skis usually sell out by November. That being said, check out the Norwalks, they are very similar in profile to the TSTs but they are significantly wider. Between the two I still preferred the TST, but the Norwalk is definitely solid. On the Nordica side of things, you should look at the Soul Rider over the El Paco for sure. I thought it was super playful but still able to get the job done, and it almost made me regret buying the *********** that I went with this year.
    I am troubled that you said "I'm looking at deals on the armadas as we speak" because that implies that you are buying online, and if that is the case then I really regret giving you any advice at all. Buy your skis from your local shop, you have no idea how much that will help you in the future.
    Good luck, and seriously, support your local shop or you will be SOL when you really need help with your new skis
  • poppiste
    @brewski

I would really love to support my local ski shop. Unfortunately there are 2 issues
    that make me not want to do that. First of all, I live in Geneva which is the most expensive city in the world, skis that are 2-3 years old are still selling above RRP. Secondly, this huge increase in price means they don't need to buy any new gear. I'm actually surprised when I see skis from this season, let alone a good range like you'd see in america or England. I'm talking at the moment to the ski store local to my residence in England, but as you can see it's pretty ridiculous to buy in Switzerland. Thanks for the advice though.
  • brewskibrewski
    @poppiste

Wow! I had no idea pricing was that rough over there, I think that is the first time I've thought buying online is justifiable. Good luck in your search, I hope you can get on a ski that you like without breaking the bank
  • griff
    Another pair to look into is the Salomon rocker2 108