Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
Ski boots + bindings
  • nvanlaer
    Hi, I've just bought some new Armada TST's and need some new bindings, since I've primarily done alpine skiing I don't know too much about what type of binding to look for or what specs to look for and was hoping someone had some suggestions??? I also need new boots because my current ones are really stiff, which I've heard is not preferable unless skiing hard pack. Unfortunately I'm living in Denmark and we don't as such have any specialized boot fitters. Therefore I also wanted to know if someone could give suggestions to what brands to look for. It should be said that I have fairly wide foot so it's always been kind of a problem to find propper fitting boots.

I'm approximately 5'8, weighing 163 lbs.

Any help would be really great. thanks.
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @nvanlaer - I assume you're looking for an alpine binding. What DIN do you usually set your's at? There are a lot of great bindings out there but you want to make sure you don't pay for something you're not going to use. If you need a high DIN setting you should look at the Rossi FKS 180 (18 DIN). If you don't need it to go that high then you can save some weight and money with the Look Pivot 14 or Salomon STH 12 Driver. There's also the Marker Jester right in the middle which goes up to 16 DIN. As far as other specs, you want to look for durable materials to be used in construction, a wide screw pattern if you're on wide skis and a good amount of elastic travel to prevent pre-release.

Check out all these other options too:

http://freeskier.com/gear/products/category/bindings

When shopping for boots you can start by looking at the "last" of a boot. It measures the width across the forefoot in millimeters and can give you some indication of how it will fit. With a wide foot you'll want to aim for 100mm-104mm. But this is only a guide. Different companies have different shell shapes and so you'll want to try them on to get a feel for them. If you have a high "instep" (top center of your foot) you'll want to look for a four buckle, overlap shell. Check out the Tecnica Coshise 120 (little on the stiff side) or maybe a Lange RX 110. Three buckle boots tend to work better with lower insteps. Check out the Full Tilt High Fives or the Nordica Ace of Spades.

More great options for boots here:

http://freeskier.com/gear/products/category/boots
  • brewskibrewski
    @nvanlaer

A stiff boot isn't necessarily a bad thing because it will definitely be more responsive as you ski. On the flip side, it might make you pretty sore if you like to jump off of things, so pay attention to the flex rating of boots that you are looking at. What boot are you in now? There is probably a number next to the name of your boot, and that number will likely correlate to the flex index of the boot (unless it is a Salomon from the past few years because they have been mixing up their numbers and flexes, but I digress). If the boot is comfortable and the toes and heels are in good shape then I would say to stick with it and see how it goes; that way you can invest in a good (albeit expensive) binding like the FKS 18 or Jester without sacrificing boot performance.

If, however, your boot is way too stiff, and not very comfortable, I would recommend trying a few on. The absence of a boot fitter is a problem in this case, but if we hammer out some details maybe @D_quigley and I can help.

How aggressively do you ski? Do you have any bunions? How high is your instep, and what does your arch look like? Is your forefoot and toe area significantly wider than the rest of your foot? I understand that it is hard to quantify and answer these questions without seeing other feet in perspective, but a rough estimate will help.

If you have the opportunity to try on boots somewhere, I would recommend that you start with the Salomon Quest series, followed by the Atomic Overload/Live Fit series, and then look at some wider Full Tilts, such as the Booter. That should be a good start, and if none of those work I have plenty of other ideas so hit me up
  • phineasforest
    @D_quigley post jacking, but how much sole length adjustment is possible with the Look Pivots? Say I get new boots in a couple of seasons and they are a slightly different sole length, is it a hassle to adjust? Thanks!
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @phineasforest - The Pivots have about 20mm of adjustment and it's not too hard so you should be good to go.