Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
Best Powder Skis
  • griff
    favorite powder skis ever?
  • brewskibrewski
    @griff

Both of those skis are awesome!! However, there are a lot of factors that go into choosing a pair of skis. What do you like to do when you ski? Do you charge with your friends, jib around, bust moguls, rip groomers? etc, etc. The right ski for you is going to be the one that best lets you ski the way you like to ski. "All Mountain" is kind of an all-encompassing category that our industry likes to use to pigeon-hole skis that they can't otherwise define. So, get back to me with some details on how you ski, where you ski, and who you ski with and I will try to help you narrow it down.

Cheers,

Brewski
  • griff
    Generally I like to ski steeps, but I do screw around in the park and ski trees and moguls. Right now this will be my only pair of skis, so I'd like them to be versatile enough to ski groomers when there's no new snow, but be able to float well on powder days. However, I don't want to sacrifice being able to rip on groomers for some extra flotation, so I'm open to anything thats around 100mm underfoot.
    Thanks!
  • bdaniels13
    I'd go with the Rossi S3's or the Experience 98s Both great skis. I have the S3's and they shred the groomers and the pow, the spoon tip helps a lot it in the trees. If you want a more all mountian ski, that won't really ski the deep pow go with experience's. They plow through crud and carve like crazy. I would throw the salamon's out and go with Rossi or Armada
  • brewskibrewski
    @griff

The Armada TST would be an excellent choice if you can find one at your shop. It is 103-5 mm underfoot and has a ton of tip rocker which makes it very floaty and quick turning. It is surprisingly good in the moguls and shreds through the trees and on steeper terrain, and although it isn't really a park ski, the long camber section gives it a lot of pop on jumps.

Another ski to consider would be the Atomic Ritual. It is 103mm underfoot and has more subtle tip rocker than the TST but is quite a bit stiffer thanks to a titanium backbone milled into the core of the ski. The Ritual is very responsive and better on hardpack than the TST but still floats well in powder.

The best thing for you to do is go into your local shop and talk with the guys there and they will be able to point you in the right direction. Prices just dropped so you should be able to get a pretty good deal there too.