Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
Park skis
  • brnnrbr12brnnrbr12
    Im looking for a new pair of jump skis that are going to be much lighter than the Afterbangs i dont need a jib ski i have the afterbangs for that so i want a pure jump ski im between the Armada T-Hall, AR-7, Line Stepup, and Nordica Double Six and Ace Of Spades. anybody have a good suggestion between these im 5'9" 145 so im pretty small so i dont need a very stiff ski either. also i want something very light weight is probably one of the more critical points
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @brnnrbr12 - I would go with the AR-7 or the Ace of Spades. The AR-7 is fully cambered so it will stick those landings nicely and has carbon stringers in the tail for a little extra get-up-and-go. The Ace of Spades is almost fully cambered (90%) and if you opt for the Ti Comp edition in the 184 you'll get carbon inserts for a little extra pop.
  • brewskibrewski
    @brnnrbr12

I think @D_Quigley nailed it if you are looking for a ski right away. If you are willing to wait for it though, I just skied the 13/14 Al Dente and ARVti from Armada and those skis KILLED it! The Al Dente is the ski Henrik Harlaut landed the nose butter triple on, and the ARVti is basically the same ski with a sheet of titanal for stability and pop. They are really lightweight but still stable on takeoffs and landings, and there is very little swing weight so they spin pretty well. Surprisingly, they ski long so I would go with the 178cm instead of the 188cm for a guy your size.
  • jibber_ish
    im a 14 year old skier at 6 ft and weigh 145. I ski lots of park, but also,do ski some around the mtn. and like to jib off about anything. i am looking at armada halos, alpha 1's or el ray's. which one should i get?
  • im a 14 year old skier at 6 ft and weigh 145. I ski lots of park, but also,do ski some around the mtn. and like to jib off about anything. i am looking at armada halos, alpha 1's or el ray's. which one should i get?

I am 14 years old also but 6 ft and 180 lbs. I currently ski on the 2013 Line Chronics which are sick for park and all mtn. They are stiff enough and stable enough for big jumps but are also really good on rails. I feel they really excel though on groomers as they hold an edge really well. All around a great all mtn ski that can also slay in the park.

• brnnrbr12brnnrbr12
    so another ski i just got introduced to is the icelantic pilgrim i need a jump ski as i said above anybody know if this is gonna be good or too soft or what?
  • D_QuigleyD_Quigley
    @brnnrbr12 I don't think the Pilgrim is what you're looking for. It's pretty soft and it won't give you the kind of pop you want when you're hitting jumps.
  • TopherRitzTopherRitz
    I'm an intermediate skier who wants to progress in the park. I'm on a budget though. Are the salomon threats any good?
  • brewskibrewski
    @TopherRitz

The Threats are a good call. They are pretty much designed for intermediate skiers looking to progress in the park, so they should work pretty well for you. I would go with the STH 12 binding to round out your setup, and check your local shop first because prices just dropped so you should get a good deal. Good luck!
  • TopherRitzTopherRitz
    Hey thanks! @brewski I also just saw the Volkl alleys, and they look like basically the same ski but a little less expensive. Know anything about them?
  • brewskibrewski
    @TopherRitz I haven't ridden the Alleys, but they are full camber and at this stage in the game something with a little rocker would probably be good for you. Volkl makes a ski called the Kink that is really fun on jumps and jibs and is built pretty tough. I would check those out too
  • TopherRitzTopherRitz
    Okay, do the Threats have any problem skiing all-mountain?
  • TopherRitzTopherRitz
  • brewskibrewski
    @topherritz The Threats would be a pretty decent all mountain ski, but if you think you are going to progress pretty quickly you should probably get something with a wood core. The Threats have a composite core, which is light but not very strong, and skis with a wood core almost always ski better. Check out those Kinks, or the Atomic Panics for a good all mountain park ski that won't hurt your wallet.
  • brnnrbr12brnnrbr12
    one more ski to ask everybody about before i buy em. what about the suraface double times? iv heard some good stuff about em but was wondering about swing weight do i go with the double time or the ace of spades?
  • TopherRitzTopherRitz
    A couple more things from me too, how's the volkl ledge? And I'm 14, 5'9", and 160 lbs, what length should i get? I'm thinking 160-170 but this will be my first pair of skis so I'm not quite sure.