Welcome to the Freeskier forums.

Get involved with the Freeskier community by signing in or registering below.

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

In this Discussion

Forum » Ski Gear Talk
New Skis
  • Wid_KidWid_Kid
    Im looking for a new pair of skis. For the past 3 years Ive been riding Line Afterbangs, and I'm looking for some new skis that are a bit lighter and better for skiing places besides the park. I mostly do park but I also do downhill once and a while. Im 6'1 and 145 lbs. Im open to any ski but would prefer to spend less than $600. Just give me some recomendations.
  • brewskibrewski
    @Wid_Kid what is your local hill? What kind of terrain do you like when you aren't skiing park?
  • Wid_KidWid_Kid
    My local hill is Ski Sundown in CT, but i regularly go up to Massachusettes, Vermont, and New Hampshire. When I'm not in the park I like doing steep groomers, glades, and moguls.
  • brewskibrewski
    @Wid_Kid Check out the Atomic Panics, Armada El Rey's and Volkl Kinks for starters. All of them were less than $600 all season and now your local shop is probably blowing them out on clearance. The Panic and Kink both have rocker and are really jibby and playful and the El Rey is a full cambered jump slayer. They are all really fun skis and would be perfect for the way you describe your riding. They are also by no means the only skis out there, just a few to help you get started
  • Wid_KidWid_Kid
    @brewski Thanks man, I'll be sure to check those out. Never would have came across these if you didn't recomend them.
  • brewskibrewski
    @Wid_Kid No problem, glad I could help. Please do me a favor and check for them at your local shop first, there's no need to buy them online. Your shop will hook you up and take way better care of you in the long run if you buy it from them, plus they are probably cheaper than the websites right now
  • Wid_KidWid_Kid
    @breski I've been looking around and noticed that many companies are waiting to release their lineup for next year. Since my season is almost over, there's no need to buy new skis right away. Do you think I should wait for them to release their lineups and then consider my options?
  • ChrisChris
    @Wid_Kid it depends on if you want to get the newest gear and technology. Like @brewski said, your local shops are going to have some screamin' deals on this past seasons skis. I just picked up a pair of this year's Salomon Suspects for $319 at my local shop. Amazing deal. The new skis are going to be just that, the new skis. There's newer tech in them and they're the latest and greatest. But personally I'd rather pick up a couple pairs of one-year-olds for the price of the brand new stuff. It's all about preference.